Food near Tower of London
This is a guest post by Caity O’Shaughnessy from Louisville, Kentucky, currently a resident at Urbanest Tower Bridge. She is studying Management Masters course at University of Westminster who also is the writer of wheretheheartis.
Interesting fact: I am a huge theatre junkie and Beatles obsessed.
“What I love most about London are the parks, the architecture, the people, the West End, the markets, the views – EVERYTHING!”
Living at Urbanest Tower Bridge puts you right in the central of everything. You are neighbours to the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge, which you can also get a spectacular view of out your window. You can walk one way and stroll down to Southwark, or go the other way for a day of shopping at Brick Lane. There are so many things to do, and what’s even better about this area – there are so many places to eat!
Address: 64-73 Minories, EC3N 1JL
This place is literally right across the street from Urbanest, so it is a perfect post-class happy hour spot. The inside has so many different areas to hang out in, and there’s also an outdoor dining with picnic tables and flat screens. They’ve got a great menu of food (of course I recommend their fish and chips) and plenty of beer to choose from – there are usually a lot of money-saving deals to choose from too. And don’t get nervous when your drink starts to shake on the table – the pub is directly under the DLR!
Recommended Food & Drink:
- Fish & Chips – traditional pub food in a traditional pub. Where can you go wrong?
- Old Mout Cider – choose from passion & apple or kiwi & lime. So many flavors in one pint of cider – you should go into this knowing you’re going to be getting at least two.
Address: 42-47 Minories, EC3N 1DY
Another neighbouring restaurant to Urbanest Tower Bridge, they’ve got a wide selection of food here from breakfast and pastries, to potatoes and salads, to pasta and lasagna. The staff here are so friendly too. The last time I went to eat, I wasn’t aware it was cash-only – they let me eat my meal and then trusted me to leave to the ATM to get money to bring back. And with that; a side note – it’s cash only!
- Pasta – they’ve got choices of spaghetti Bolognese, pasta arrabiatta, meat lasagne al forno, and more!
- Anything – this is a ‘quick lunch’ spot, so they’ve got a fridge full of drink choices on the side.
The Slug and Lettuce
St Katharine Docks, Unit 1
Address: Tower Bridge House E1W 1AA
The Slug and Lettuce is a very classy-looking spot, but it’s also affordable so you don’t have to break the bank! They’ve got just about everything – breakfast, brunch, sandwiches, and pasta. They’ve also got a full section of sharing platters if you’re looking to split with your friends! Oh – and their desserts are 2 for 1 every day. Does it get any better than that?
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese – I don’t know how much convincing I have to do because it’s mac & cheese and there isn’t anything better than that, but I will say this dish is SO good. There is an option to add lobster tail or pulled pork if you want to add a little more goodness. I always say yes to more goodness, and so should you.
- Cosmopolitan – a very traditional drink that never gets old. Extra fruity and delicious!
Address: 26 Byward Street, EC3R 5BA
This is good ol’ American BBQ brought over to London! Ribs, burgers, hot dogs – it’s a meat lover’s paradise. This is a great place to get a group together for a football game, or even some March Madness basketball coming up!